Tuesday, March 15, 2016

You're Never Weird On the Internet (Almost)
By Felicia Day


Felicia Day has been one of my entrepreneur heroes for a long time. You might know her as Vi from Buffy the Vampire Slayer or from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog but Felicia is also a gamer, social mediaist (Yes, I made that term up), geek, business owner, web series creator and now author. If you follow Felicia's work, you quickly realize that she is not one to fit into the mold. She is a free thinker, brilliant, funny and willing to stretch the boundaries to take creativity and her art to a higher level. 

You can imagine my delight last year when Day announced that she was writing a memoir. I pre-ordered it for myself and for the library. I actually listened to this book instead of reading it because Day recorded the audio herself. I would recommend listening to it as she is laugh-out-loud hilarious. The book is written in conversational writing that lends to the feeling of sitting at a dinner with Felicia and hearing her life story. (Falan also wrote a review on the audio book here. Check it out!)

Felicia grew up in a home that was anything but traditional. She went to college at 16 and graduated with dual majors in math and music. Her journey is full of witty stories. She highlights mistakes and successes, struggles and victories all with her sharp wit and ability to see the humor in life. Her stories of meeting celebrities for the first time had my sides aching from laughter. You follow her story through her inner dialog from the page. Felicia also talks very honestly about her struggles with fame, pressure and depression.You also get a glimpse into the world of female gamers and the intrigue and (sometimes) danger that comes with that.

If you have been a fan of Felicia for many years like myself or this is the first time you have heard her name; I encourage you to read(listen) to this fun, honest and impactful book. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment